I Grew Up On Rock and Roll

Daddy raised me on his left knee
bouncing to the rhythm of his rock and roll saviors
I grew up under a peach tree
and dancing in glass rooms
losing my head inside books 
that made me dream of being anything, 
as long as it was something grand
and in childhood fantasies
it seems easy 
to be a bird or a doctor or an astronaut 
or one of Daddy's rock and roll saviors

But under that peach tree
I said my first goodbye 
stepping blindly into life's first heartbreak
that is, reality's first confrontation
And she came early for me,
too early for me
watching those fantasies run 
through my hands
like sand,
it nearly destroyed my ability to dream again
but I was a dreamer then, 
and somehow I still am
Mama used to tell me "girl, get your feet on the ground"
but dreaming saved me, 
when I had nothing else to hold

Because when I'm dreaming, I'm free, free, free
when I'm dreaming, I'm free
And, baby, if I’m nothing else, I can be my dreams
because when I’m dreaming, I’m free, free, free

and if you or I accomplish nothing else in this life,
nothing worth noting in this life
I hope we die dreaming
I hope we can still dream
because what would we be without everything we dream? 
everything we hunger for, and everything we need?
we're just bodies, bodies with big dreams
wanting to be things
but is wanting enough when reality ties you down?
is it enough to hold on to when life gets cold? 
but baby, dreams deserve to be honored

Because when I'm dreaming, I'm free, free, free
when I'm dreaming, I'm free
And, baby, if I’m nothing else, I can be my dreams
because when I’m dreaming, I’m free, free, free

And growing up on rock and roll
makes for a hell of a woman
Daddy gave me that spirit
the spirit of a wild woman in me
he said "look here, darling, I'll take your hand,
I'm showing you, teaching you, 
but that wild woman is already in you"
And I was unafraid even as I was scathed
until I couldn't hear drums anymore
and those years without the drums
well, they nearly killed me
but when I found my own
I sang again 
and I sang my way back to him
spewing truth that some people didn't want to hear
but it's true, it's true
and if you don't like it
turn your rock and roll off
but don't take away my drums

Because when we’re dreaming, we’re free, free, free
when we’re dreaming, we’re free
And baby if we’re nothing else, we can be our dreams
because when we’re dreaming, we’re free, free, free

Daddy told me I could do anything
and I believed him
and I still do

I grew up under a peach tree
and dancing in glass rooms
I grew up inventing stories so good
I knew I could be anything

Daddy raised me on his left knee 
bouncing to the rhythm of his rock and roll saviors
And I'm still bouncing along, I'm still dreaming
I’m still dreaming, I’m gonna keep on dreaming

Comments

Popular Posts