Melodrama

You kissed me for the first time on my cheek on a frigid winter night. That kiss was like the first sip of coffee on a cold morning - shocking and warm and unexpected.  I wanted more in that moment, but the anticipation was just as delicious. After a while, I kissed you and we made out like young desperate romantics. The feeling of years worth of crushes and a few boys later made it all the sweeter. It was deep and promising and I wanted more of it.

These kisses don't feel fulfilling because they reach beyond a need to be fulfilled. Your kisses feel deep and thoughtful, full of history and connection. They feel soft, maybe a hint of fear, yet not out of insecurity, but rather of a tenderness in loving. Your kisses are most addictive to the chaotic uncertainty of my life.

Let's kiss some more and do a million other things.

I want to hold your hand on a moonlit night and look over city lights that take our breath away.  I want to skinny dip in warm waters under the watchful gaze of mountains after dusk has broken their stature like a rock crumbling down. I want to dance on the long blades of grass that kiss their way into your clothing as they sway with you beneath an open sky.

I want to feel you wrapped around me like the warm comfort of Christmas morning. I want to feel your body entangled with sweaty sheets and your skin and your lips pressed against mine so fiercely that I feel the world is shattering to become you. I want to feel your hand slide to my hips when we sway in the bedroom to the crone of vinyl. I want to feel your arm around my waist and our toes over the edge of concrete as we look down on the city from a high hotel floor. I want to hear you singing our songs while you trail your hands through my hair as I write about a Sunday morning. I want to feel your breath heavy on my forehead when you hold me from the cold's icy fingers in the middle of winter. I want to feel you grab my hand in joy as we walk through a city we’ve never seen before. I want to feel your heart beat when we jump from the highest cliff into the bluest hole. I want to feel your body rock next to mine as we dance in a dark bar to a band we don’t know.

I want to feel your tears sliding down your cheeks as you tell me your stories when we find ourselves drinking wine in the bathtub on a Tuesday night. I want to feel the flowers under our bare feet when we go back to the meadow where you asked me to stay with you. I want to feel your laughter deep in my soul when we lay on the kitchen floor eating cereal at 2:00 am. I want to feel your fingers trace the outline of my body when I pretend to fall asleep alongside you. I want to feel your love so deep and so wide that you tell me you’ll never leave. I want to love your soul and feel you holding mine. Darling, I want to live.

So let's. Let's do it all. Let's be melodramatic just for the hell of it. Let's get drunk and run around barefoot and pretend we're in love like highschool crushes. Let's get into this tension because it's far too exciting to watch it go.

You kissed me for the first time on a balmy winter night. Let's do it all again.

Comments

Popular Posts